– 18 Megapixel APS-C Sensor
– ISO 100 – 25,600
– 4 frames per second
– Full HD [24|25|30fps] and HD [50|60fps] Video Recording
– 9 Auto Focus Points
– 3.0″ LCD Screen – Touchscreen available
– SDHC Memory Card Slot
– Competes with Nikon D3200
Just when you think Canon’s entry level DSLR cameras already have complicated names, they go and announce a totally new line. Body and design of a something like the Rebel T3, features and performance of the T5i. Is this the formula that will help Canon sell the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market right now?
Sensor – Quality
Maximum Resolution: 5,184 x 3,456
Sensor Type: APS-C (all EF and EF-S lenses will fit on it)
If you look at cameras from 10 years ago, you’ll notice how little the DSLR market has changed. We get more megapixels, better ISO performance and constantly improved auto focus. That’s pretty much it, all of the video and other amazing features is something that hasn’t been going on for that long.
So when you see that Canon, one of the top two leading photo companies, released a totally different type of a DSLR than what we are used to, you know that they have big plans for that very specific line/model. It could be a couple of years until we see the upgrade for the SL1, or we may not even see it. It all depends on how the customers respond to it and personally I see no reason why it wouldn’t become popular. How many other Canon or Nikon models can you count that are this small, yet so powerful?
On the the inside it’s like the Rebel T5i/700D. 18 megapixel sensor and ISO that goes up 12,800 yet still delivers pretty clean images. If there’s one thing you really don’t have to worry about DSLR cameras today, it’s whether their image quality is “acceptable”. We have reached a point where every new release is already amazing, regardless of the price. You could take a couple of pictures with the SL1 and then with something more expensive like a Nikon D7100 and it would be impossible to guess which photo was taken with which camera.
Body & Design
The SL1 has small written all over it. It actually makes the kit 18-55mm lens look like a gigantic piece of glass, when in reality its one of the smallest lenses out there!
- Weight (Body Only): 370g / 13.06 oz
- LCD Size: 3.0″ – 1,040k dots – Touchscreen available
- Viewfinder Coverage: 95%
- Memory: SDHC Card Slot
It’s not a mistake, this little fella actually weighs 370g which is even less than some lenses! Once you put in the battery and memory card it’ll come at around 420g, but still amazingly light! You might be asking yourself, are there any buttons when the body is already so small? The layout is actually pretty good, and there’s always an option to turn on the Touchscreen function.
As expected from little cameras, it features an SDHC memory card slot to save space.
There’s so much good to talk about the SL1, I don’t even know where to begin.
- Video Recording – Unlike with the T3, you don’t have any limits when it comes to video recording. You have Full HD and HD options, the only thing missing is your talent and you’ll be on the way of making amazing videos
- LCD Screen – Despite its size, Canon still managed to use the big 3 inch LCD screen. Touchscreen works wonderfully and the display appears rich with colors (never trust your screen though)
- 4 frames per second – Okay, not the quickest out there but don’t forget we’re talking about the smallest DSLR on earth. Just the fact that it takes photographs is amazing, let alone 4 in a single second…
- Hybrid AF II – New technology that drastically improves the auto focus performance in Live View/Video Recording
The EOS 100D is an excellent example of how much more there is to explore in the DSLR market. I mean come on, it’s more powerful yet still smaller than the majority of other cameras at the same price level. At first I thought it was a tad overpriced, but looking at the specifications and what kind of images it produces I think it’s a steal!
Where To Buy The Canon EOS 100D/SL1?
If you buy the camera or any anything else after clicking on my Amazon links, you support my website! No extra charge, and Amazon is already the cheapest out there!
- Buy Canon EOS 100D/Rebel SL1 + 18-55mm from Amazon here
- Buy Transcend 8GB Class 10 Memory Card from Amazon here